When winter weather hits, you need to ensure your furnace is working properly. To prevent your unit from breaking down, you should keep it properly maintained throughout the year and have any issues repaired as soon as possible. For routine tune-ups or much-needed repairs in Lombard, IL, call Jim Wagner Plumbing, Inc. Book an appointment with us, and we guarantee to provide upfront pricing with no hidden fees.
Is it becoming too costly to keep repairing your furnace? Learn about our furnace installation services.
Signs Your Furnace Needs to be Repaired
Waking up in a chilly house when your furnace unexpectedly malfunctions is an un-welcomed event in the middle of winter. That’s why it’s important to schedule furnace repair services at the first signs of trouble. Some signs that can indicate you need repairs for can include:
- Short cycling: This can occur when your unit runs for less than three minutes at a time before it shuts off. This can signal a malfunctioning heat exchanger or indicate that your thermostat needs to be recalibrated.
- Irregular flames: If you see uneven rows of flames in your unit’s burners it can indicate a minor issue – like dirty burners – or something more serious like a cracked heat exchanger, which can lead to a carbon monoxide leak.
- Unusual sounds: If you hear odd sounds, like a rumbling, popping or whistling, coming from a forced-air system it should be inspected by a professional as it can indicate numerous issues.
- Cracked heat exchanger: If your household starts to feel ill with headaches or flu-like symptoms it can be due to a carbon monoxide leak caused by a cracked heat exchanger. This should be inspected by a professional immediately.
How to Make Your Furnace More Energy Efficient
Keeping your home warm in the winter months can take a toll on your utility bill. To help reduce these costs, there are ways to make your unit more energy-efficient.
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Check the air ducts to ensure they are clean and functioning properly.
- Ensure your home is well insulated.
- Schedule regular maintenance visits at least once a year.
- Change your filter regularly, ideally at least every three months.
- Open the curtains to let sunlight in to help add warmth to your home.
Are you looking to add style and comfort to your home? Ask us about our gas log fireplace services.
Why Furnace Maintenance is Important
It’s important to keep your furnace well maintained and to have a heating contractor perform a tune-up at least once a year. This is important because it provides the following benefits:
- It keeps your home and family safe by ensuring the unit is performing as expected.
- Provides maximum comfort to your home as it allows the unit to work at its full capacity.
- Helps prolong the unit’s lifespan as it helps it operate more efficiently.