Is your space too large to be warmed by a heater or furnace? If so, a boiler might be a better solution for your space. These units use steam to heat your property, benefiting large buildings more than traditional forced-air systems. For boiler maintenance, repairs and installations, call Jim Wagner Plumbing, Inc. When you book an appointment in the Lombard, IL area, we will provide you with upfront pricing without hidden fees!
Want a heating solution that can help cool your home as well as keep it warm? Learn about our heat pump services.
Benefits of Steam Boilers
Do you need to heat a large space in your property? A steam boiler can be the best solution. These systems can stand up to extreme cold and can benefit homes with bad insulation. Boilers transfer heat created from the steam throughout large buildings, keeping large spaces warm in the winter.
Signs Your Boiler Needs to be Repaired
Like other heating systems, from time-to-time your boiler system will need to be repaired by a professional. To prevent having to endure a frigid building, it’s important to know when there is an issue with the unit that needs to be repaired by a professional. Some signs to watch for can include:
- Yellow flame instead of blue: If you notice a yellow flame instead of a blue one in your boiler, you should seek immediate service. This can indicate a carbon monoxide leak, which can be extremely dangerous.
- Faint odor: If you smell a faint odor coming from the unit, it can be another sign of a carbon monoxide leak. You should immediately evacuate your home and have the boiler serviced.
- Unusual noises: If you hear odd noises coming from the system you should schedule repairs.
- Slow to heat: If it’s taking too long for your property to heat, your system might need a tune-up or repair.
- Increase in utility bills: If there’s an increase in your monthly bills, it can indicate your unit isn’t operating as efficiently as it should be.
Do you need a new AC unit before the summer heat hits? Contact us to learn about our air conditioner installation services.
Common Issues with Boilers
Occasionally, you will need to schedule repairs on your boiler. While some issues are urgent – like a carbon monoxide leak – there are also more common issues that will need to be repaired by a professional. Some problems you might encounter that will require professional services can include:
- Not producing heat (or hot water)
- Leaking water
- Pilot light goes out
- Shuts off without being triggered
- Property doesn’t reach the desired temperature.
- Radiator isn’t heating up
- Condensate pipe is frozen