Winter can be long enough without having to deal with a chilly house when the heater goes out. To ensure your home stays comfortable all season, it’s important to keep your unit maintained. When you need a heating contractor to perform central heating repairs or furnace tune-ups, call Jim Wagner Plumbing, Inc. for services in Elmhurst, IL. When you schedule an appointment, we promise to provide upfront pricing with no hidden fees.
We offer the following heating services – and more – to the Elmhurst, IL area:
- Furnace Installation
- Gas Log Fireplaces
- Radiant Heating
- Heat Pump Services
- Boiler Services
Want to know why our customers call us for their furnace repairs and replacements? Read our testimonials to find out!
Ways a Malfunctioning Heater Can Affect Your Home
When your heater malfunctions it can have a large impact on your family and your home. In addition to making you uncomfortable while you endure a chilly home in the winter months, it can also have the following impacts:
- Health issues: Certain issues with your heater – like a carbon monoxide leak – can put your family’s health at risk.
- Reduced indoor air quality: When the unit isn’t working properly it will not remove all of the debris from the air in your home.
- Increased risk of fire: Depending on what’s wrong with your system, it can increase your fire risk.
- Increased monthly utility bills: A malfunctioning unit may use more energy to try to cool your home, which can result in higher bills.
Signs Your Furnace Needs to be Replaced
Do you keep repairing your furnace instead of replacing it with a new model? While that might work for certain issues with your unit, for other problems it can make more sense to install a new system. Some signs that can indicate you need to replace your unit can include:
- If your unit is older and nearing the end of its life expectancy.
- Loss of efficiency. If your unit cannot heat your home to the desired temperature.
- Cracks in your unit can lead to serious – and dangerous – issues, like a carbon monoxide leak.
- Rise in monthly utility bills. If your unit uses more energy than before to heat your home it can result in higher monthly bills.
- Multiple repairs. If your unit needs several – or costly – repairs it can be more cost-effective to replace the system.
Time to replace your furnace? Contact us to schedule service today!
How to Keep Your Furnace Maintained
Heating contractors recommend that you have your furnace professionally serviced at least once a year to ensure it works properly in the winter months. In addition to booking these appointments, you should also perform the following maintenance:
- Replace furnace filters at least every three months. This will help remove debris like dust, pet dander and other allergens from the air.
- Install a carbon monoxide monitor in your home. This should be checked by a professional during the yearly inspection.
- Have the ducts inspected by a professional to look for leaks.
- Check the blower to remove any obstructions.
- Inspect the inside of the furnace chamber to look for rust, holes and other problems.
- Clean the burners to remove dust and debris.
- Clean the sensor and pilot to keep it operating properly.
- Check the “high limit” to prevent overheating.