How Homeowners Can Identify an Underground Water Line Leak
If a faucet is dripping or leaking, it’s easy to find the leak and catch the problem early. However, some leaks prove more challenging to notice. This is certainly the case with leaks hidden underground in the water line. Many pipes are hidden in the walls and underneath the floor or the slab foundation, so it can be difficult to know that the leak is there until it has done significant damage. This blog will share ways to identify hidden or underground leaks so that a plumber can fix them before more water damage or high water bills occur.
Signs of a Leak
Though hidden leaks can be hard to detect, there are clear indicators if the homeowner understands the warning signs. Some common symptoms of a leak in the water line include:
- Sound of Running Water: If no one is using water in the home, but there are still noises that sound like running water, there could be a leak.
- High Water Bill: If the cost of water usage is inexplicably high, there is likely a leak wasting water, making it look like the home is using more water than it is because water is being lost from the leak.
- Puddles of Water: If there are puddles or extremely wet areas of the yard, especially when it hasn’t rained, this points to an underground leak in that area of the property.
- Decrease in Water Pressure: If poor water pressure comes from fixtures, a leak in the water supply line may be preventing normal water pressure.
Using the Water Meter to Detect Leaks
If a homeowner is concerned that they may have a hidden leak but are unsure and want to confirm they do before calling a professional, they can perform a simple test with their water meter to check for leaks. The steps are listed below:
- Turn off the main water valve or make sure no water is being used
- Check the reading on the water meter. Nothing should move or change on the meter when water isn’t used.
- Wait around an hour, and don’t use water during that time.
- Recheck the water meter’s reading. If the meter continues to move or there is a higher reading on the second check, there is likely a leak.
Professional Water Leak Detection Services
Hidden and underground leaks require the help of plumbing professionals to locate and repair them. One of the advantages of using professional leak detection services is that they have the proper tools and equipment to pinpoint the exact location of the leak to perform less invasive repairs.
Plumbers can use a variety of tools and techniques to detect the presence of leaks without having to tear up walls or floors in search of them. Using technology, such as infrared cameras and acoustic leak detectors, plumbers and other professionals can find large or small leaks quickly and accurately. Infrared cameras detect the temperature difference between wet and dry objects by visually representing thermal energy. Acoustic listening devices use sound waves to find leaks in pipes. Pressure tests may also be used to further assess the severity of possible leaks. Once the leak has been located, plumbers can determine the best solution to repair them and prevent additional damage and high water costs from the leak.
About Jim Wagner Plumbing, Inc.
Jim Wagner Plumbing, Inc. is a trusted, local plumbing and HVAC contractor serving Lombard, IL, and the surrounding areas. They provide upfront pricing, honest advice, and fast turnaround times. Call them today for water leak detection and repair in Lombard, IL.